The inspiration for this chocolate pumpkin protein smoothie was actually my chocolate almond butter brownies which are a personal favorite that I’ve been making for years. I know many love my avocado brownie recipe, but my daughter Vivi and I lean towards the almond butter pumpkin version. I love the brownies when they are gooey inside, so a smoothie version popped into my mind one day while I was enjoying a brownie for breakfast:) Yes, and I do not even feel one ounce of guilt because they are made with real ingredients!
This smoothie is simple, tasty, and nutritious. It is full of plenty of fiber, healthy fats, and protein which is a perfect way to start your day. This would be a good post-workout smoothie as it also has some whole-food carbs to refuel your glycogen stores.
While this smoothie is definitely a fall favorite, you can really enjoy it any time of the year!
Make the smoothie your own:
- Swap the water for non-dairy milk for a bit more flavor
- Add some greens (it just won’t be as pretty) for some extra veggie servings
- Add some chia/flax seeds for extra protein, omega 3’s, and protein
- Swap the banana for monk fruit or stevia to make lower glycemic
- Swap the banana for a date if you aren’t a banana fan
- Add psyllium husk to thicken the smoothie and add additional fiber
- Use another nut butter or some avocado as your healthy fat source vs the almond butter
- 1 High-Speed Blender
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen riced cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate protein powder
- 1-2 tbsp raw cacao powder depending how chocolatey you want it!
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and enjoy!